- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- PhD students
Laboratory of Protein Structure
The Laboratory of Protein Structure at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, led by Profesor Marcin Nowotny is seeking PhD students to join the group.
The funding of the scholarships are provided by grants entitled:
“Mitochondrial RNA decay and surveillance - comprehensive interdisciplinary studies” carried out as the SYMFONIA (UMO – 2014/12/W/NZ1/00463) grant of the Polish National Science Centre;
“Mechanism of RNA ligation in maturation of transfer RNAs“carried out as OPUS (UMO-2019/33/B/NZ1/02839) grant of the Polish National Science Centre;
The deadline for applications is February 15th, 2020.
Preferred job starting date is March 1st, 2020 (for SYMFONIA grant) and June 1st 2020 (for OPUS grant).
As a PhD student you will be involved in structural studies of proteins involved in RNA processing. The work will include purification, characterization, crystallography and cryo-EM studies of proteins and their complexes with RNA. You will also perform biochemical in vitro expriments to gain further insights into the mechanism of action fo the proteins of interest.
The fellowship will be awarded in an open competition, according to the procedure complying
with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment
of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/en/institute/hr-excellence
The institution: International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw www.iimcb.gov.pl is one of the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institutes, which provides a stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment. Research topics at IIMCB cover the wide area of molecular, cellular, and structural biology. The Institute is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, has excellent core facilities and supportive administration. IIMCB benefits
from numerous generous funding schemes for basic research through grants from international and national sources. The institute is located in a large biomedical campus that offers access to equipment and various possibilities
of training and collaboration. We provide opportunities for extensive interdisciplinary collaborations within the team and in the institute, as well as external and international collaborations. The working language of the institute
- Full-time PhD scholarship
- Total gross scholarship up to a maxiumum 5000 PLN/month (depending on grant and expirence)
- A position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
- Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
- Full technical, administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
- Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
- Administrative and organizational support from professional English-speaking personnel
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular biology, chemistry or related area (defended before the start of the work on the project)
- Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland
- Fulfill the formal criteria for the competition
- A proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, a collaborative attitude
- Experience in working in laboratories abroad is highly desired
- Strong background in protein biochemistry – protein expression in prokaryotic and eukaryotic systems protein purification, biochemical tests of enzymatic activity, preferably for nucleic acid enzymes
- Experience in structural biology methods (protein crystallography and/or cryo-EM) will be preferred
- Scientific excellence confirmed by publications in international journals and attendance to international scientific conferences
- Very good written and oral communication in English
- Enjoy working in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
How to apply:
- In the subject include your first and last name.
- Your application must be submitted in English and should contain: 1) a CV, 2) a cover letter including a short description of your key achievements and explicit responses to the following questions: What are your scientific interests and how do they relate to requirements of the position offered? What are your key strengths? What do you know about our laboratory and why do you want to work with us?, 3) contacts
to at least two potential referees, including your MSc (or PhD) supervisor. At this stage, please do not attach copies of diplomas, etc.
- Please include the following statement in your application: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street, 02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal
data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute
of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://www.iimcb.gov.pl/pl/information-clause
- Best candidate(s) may be given additional questions and tasks as a part of the recruitment process.
- The competition may be extended or repeated until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements
We would like to inform that the competition for PhD student postions has been resolved, the selected candidate are Sebastian Chamera (OPUS grant) and Marta Gapińska (SYMFONIA grant).