- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- MSc student
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
MSc student position in Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering
The Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Protein Engineering at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Janusz Bujnicki, is seeking a MSc student interested in bioinformatics.
Our big aim is to characterize nucleic acid molecules from a structural and functional point of view. Towards this goal, the development of bioinformatic tools for secondary and tertiary structure prediction of nucleic acids and their complexes, is of outmost importance. We have developed tools for the modeling of RNA 3D structure, and have become one of the most successful RNA modeling teams in the world: see rankings of RNA Puzzles. We offer you a chance to be a part of this success and to participate in a project “Bridging the gap: DNA catalysis explained” (2018/31/D/NZ2/01883), led by Dr. Almudena Ponce-Salvatierra and funded within the SONATA program of the Polish National Science Centre. In this project we focus on DNAzymes - synthetic, single-stranded DNA molecules that are capable of catalyzing chemical reactions.
You will apply your skills to participate in the development of bioinformatics programs. You will learn a lot and, if you are successful, you will be a co-author of a scientific publication.
- The candidate must be enrolled in MSc studies in computer science or a related area.
- Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, a collaborative attitude
- Documented experience in computational biology, bioinformatics, molecular modeling or in computer programming (preferably Python or C/C++)
- Very good written and oral communication in English
Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the general profile of the laboratory. The ability and interest to pursue challenging, interdisciplinary problems, and the ability to deliver results are essential.
Key information about us:
- We are an interdisciplinary team that combines basic science (to solve the mysteries of nature) and applied science (to make the discoveries practically useful). In our laboratory, software developers meet with experimental biologists, and high-throughput data analysis combines with sophisticated studies of individual biomacromolecules. We develop new computational methods, new tools for biotechnology, and molecules that will hopefully become drugs against diseases.
- We are hosted by IIMCB (http://iimcb.gov.pl), the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institute in biology.
The institute provides cutting-edge equipment and facilities, in particular for bioinformatics, experimental molecular biology, and structural biology. IIMCB also provides support for science commercialization, development of spin-off companies etc.
- Fellowship starting with 1500 PLN/month (depending on qualifications)
- Appointment starting as soon as possible/June 2021 for 3 months with the possibility of extension
- Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
You will be a key member of a group working on a focused scientific project with well-defined goals that combines a big scientific challenge with opportunities to collaborate with other researchers. You will have access to modern equipment and support from other experienced researchers. The project provides opportunities for extensive interdisciplinary collaborations within the team and in the institute (e.g. with software developers, molecular modelers and experimentalists), as well as international collaborations with academia and industry. You will have many chances to make your collaborative research a success and you will be expected to present your results
at scientific conferences and co-authorize scientific publications, and ultimately to include them in your PhD thesis.
Candidates will be selected in an open competition, according to the procedure complying with the rules of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers as a part of HR Excellence in Research strategy https://bit.ly/2OBshQU
How to apply:
- We will collect applications until June 4th 2021
- In the subject include "MSc-SONATA-student" and your first and last name.
- Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how to you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a list of your significant achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one former or current direct supervisor.
- Please include the following statement in your Curriculum vitae: “I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data, included in the application documents by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, 4 Księcia Trojdena Street,
02-109 Warsaw, for the purpose of carrying out the current recruitment process.” Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of the recruitment procedure by the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw. Full information is available under the link https://bit.ly/3ut6yKe.
- Best candidates will be invited for an interview that will take place in early-mid June.