- Ogłoszenia o pracę
- PhD student
Laboratorium Bioinformatyki i Bionżynierii Białka
We are looking for a PhD student interested in bioinformatics software development and molecular modeling, and motivated to develop a career in an interdisciplinary and international team.
Key information about us:
• To have an idea of the working activity of the host group, check the website http://genesilico.pl
• We are an interdisciplinary team that combines basic science (to solve the mysteries of nature) and applied science (to make the discoveries practically useful). In our laboratory, software developers meet with experimental biologists, and high-throughput data analysis combines with sophisticated studies of individual biomacromolecules. We develop new computational methods, new tools for biotechnology, and molecules that will hopefully become drugs against diseases. Our goal is to understand the structure of RNA molecules, and design molecules that do not exist yet. We are one of the most successful RNA modeling teams in the world: see rankings of RNA Puzzles.
• We are driven towards publication and application of our results. Our recent focus and biggest successes are in computational and experimental analyses of RNA and protein-RNA complexes. For examples, see: Smietanski et al. Nature Commun 2014, Boniecki et al. Nucleic Acids Res 2015. We are also involved in efforts towards commercialization of our results.
• We are hosted by IIMCB (http://iimcb.gov.pl), the top-ranked (A+) Polish research institute in biology, with cutting-edge equipment and facilities, in particular for bioinformatics, experimental molecular and structural biology.
IIMCB also provides support for science commercialization, development of spin-off companies etc.
The main goal of the OPUS project is to develop and test in practice a new method for designing RNA molecules that form desired structures and carry out desired functions. The project provides opportunities for extensive interdisciplinary collaborations within the team and in the institute (e.g. with software developers, molecular modelers, and experimentalists), as well as external collaborations with academia and industry.
As a PhD student in computational biology of RNA: You will be involved in the combination of bioinformatics software development and in computational design/modeling of RNA 3D structures. Highly motivated individuals with the ability to pursue challenging tasks and achieve objectives are encouraged to apply.
• Master’s degree in computer science, life sciences or related area (defended until June 2018 at the latest)
• Eligibility for PhD studies in Poland under the supervision of prof. Bujnicki
• Documented experience in programming (Python and/or C/C++) and/or in molecular modeling
• Proactive approach to achieving tasks and objectives, good interpersonal skills, collaborative attitude
• Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project and to the profile of the laboratory.
• PhD fellowship 3 500 PLN/month,
• Position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations)
• Benefits including reduced-rate for an individual medical care package and membership in MultiSport programme
• Appointment starting between April and October 2018, funding guaranteed initially for 3 years, possible extension
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and academic mentoring
How to apply:
• We will collect applications until February 28, 2018. Best candidates will be invited for an interview (In-Person or via Skype) early in March.
• In the subject include "PhD-OPUS-RNAbioinfo" and your first and last name.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a motivation letter (What is your scientific dream and how do you want to fulfill it? What are your key strengths? Why do you want to work with us?), a description of your key achievements, and contacts to at least two potential referees, including at least one direct supervisor.
• Please include the following statement in your application: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended.”
• Best candidates will be invited for an interview early in March. The competition may be extended until a suitable candidate who fulfills all requirements is found.
The project "Development of new methods for designing RNA molecules that fold into desired spatial structures and their use for development of new functional RNAs and for prediction of noncoding RNAs in transcriptome sequences" is carried out as the OPUS grant of the Polish National Science Center. The PhD student will be selected from candidates in the open competition, according to the procedure complying the rules for granting scholarships for young scientists in research projects funded by the National Science Centre (NCN Council Resolution No. 96/2016 dated. October 27, 2016 r.)